The diversity of her work makes Sue de Vanny an exciting presence in the world of art and textiles. From the award-winning, extremely fine brush strokes required to do re-paints on fashion dolls to watercolour landscapes, portraiture, fine photography, dress, bag making, elaborate stitching and textile art there is no end to her creative abilities.
Sue has been largely self-taught. Armed with the basics and the doctrine of numerous artistic techniques, Sue has had professional training in painting with Pat Winnett, Malcolm Beattie and currently with Edwina Cherry. She continues to participate in weekly painting classes with a group of like-minded artists in Eltham.
Sue has completed Certificate II in design at the renowned City And Guilds Institute in London.
Her passion for fabric based art has blossomed and it is exciting to see the transition of her art principles of painting and perspective being introduced to fabric. Sue creates pieces that have perspective in a painterly fashion, with her expert use of light, shadows and beautiful thread work giving extra texture and dimension. Fabric painting, dyeing, stamping, stitching, and the use of embellishments are what makes her works pop. As a result Sue is an Aurifil Artisan of Aurilfil Threads for 2020 & 2021.
It is the meld of her talents that is really interesting as some of her current exhibits display multiple mediums. Where this will end as her confidence grows is really fascinating as those professionally involved in dealing in Susan’s creativity are constantly surprised by the shine in her work.
Sue has had two successful solo exhibitions in 2012 and 2021. Also the Coordinator of two successful One Step Further Textile Exhibitions in 2019 and again 2020 which was delayed due to Covid 19 for Victorian Quilters Inc. An accredited judge of textile exhibitions. Has had a number of publications of her work in magazines and been published in books.
Exhibited textile artwork and awards received:
- Close to Me: 4th pictorial Queensland Quilters 2021
- Long Tall Sally: On Line Art Exhibition 2021, received Special Mention.
- Shape I’m In: 3rd place piecing Quiltcon 2020
- Take a Walk on the Wild Side: Art Quilt Australia Exhibition 2021/2022
- Kiribu Binte Mflame (Princess): Invited and Exhibited as part of Golden Textures 2021, won Viewers Choice. Sydney Quilt Show online 2021
- She Matters: Exhibited as part of Golden Textures 2019. Convenor’s Award – Vic Quilters Showcase 2019. Finalist World of Beauty, Houston Texas 2019. Currently part of the For the Love of Gaia exhibit virtual tour here from International Quilt Museum
- Cat Groove: Best Contemporary Quilt & Highly Commended Modern Category – Vic Quilters Showcase 2019. Second Place Modern Quilts Competition PQIF California USA 2019. View 2021 Quilts Unlimited, 2nd place Wall Quilt and Best Machine Quilting.
- Foresight to Capture: Part of the Vision 2020 exhibition.
- Deceptive Markings: First Prize Art Category – Vic Quilters Showcase 2018. Exhibited Best of the Best 2018 at AQC 2019. Third Prize Best Innovative Quilt 2019. Birmingham 2021
- Water’s Edge: Highly Commended – Coastal Threads 2018. Dare to Differ 2019 Sold
- Bordering Extinction: First Prize – AQC 2018 Challenge Borders and Bridges & Viewers Choice – AQC 2018. Third Prize – Pictorial Category, Sydney Quilt Show 2019, Birmingham 2021.
- Abandoned – FJ Holden: Second Prize – One Red Thread 2018 ‘WeathRED’, Berry Retreat
- Reflection – Harbour Fenders, Cape Town: Highly Commended AQIPP 2017. Second Prize Pictorial – World of Beauty 2018 Houston Texas. Highly Commended – Vic Quilters Showcase 2019. Best Use of Colour – Pacific International Quilt Festival USA 2019 Currently traveling around Europe as part of special exhibition 2019 -22.
- Erte’s Bazaar II: Highly Commended – Victorian Quilters Showcase 2017. Finalist in World of Beauty 2017 Houston Texas. Finalist World Quilt Competition 2018.
- Swept Away: 3rd prize winner at Berry’s Kimberly Dreaming Challenge 2015
- Erte’s Bazaar: Finalist in World of Beauty 2015 Houston Texas and 2nd Prize Art Quilt Category in Dubai International Quilt Show 2016.
- Beginning True: Won Honorable Mention 2015 AQC challenge theme ‘True Blue’ Exhibited around the USA as a finalist World Quilt Competition 2017. Finalist in World of Beauty and in Birmingham Festival of Quilts 2018. Sold in private collection 2018
- Limelight: For challenge Berry’s A World of Colour 2014.
- Showgirl: 1st Prize winner for Berry’s One Red Thread theme Moulin Rouge 2014, Judges Choice in Dubai International Quilt Show 2016
- Sturt’s Stamp: Judges Commendation in Desert Threads challenge 2014, currently touring Australia then Exhibiting in USA October 2015.
- Tram Route No.10: Won viewer’s choice in AQC challenge 2014 theme ‘Ten’ and Best Machine Workmanship, Innovative Category – World Quilt Competition 2015, 3rd in Pictorial section at Festival of Quilts Birmingham 2017. Was on display at 333 Safes in 333 Collins St. Melbourne from 2018 to 2020.
- Time: Finalist in 2011 special exhibit Text on Textiles in Houston toured around USA for 2 years. Won 1st prize Art Quilt category Vic Quilters showcase 2013. Exhibited in 2015 NSW quilters guild and Festival of Quilts Birmingham 2015.