The diversity of her work makes Sue de Vanny an exciting presence in the world of art and textiles. From the award-winning, extremely fine brush strokes required to do re-paints on fashion dolls to watercolour landscapes, portraiture, fine photography, dress, bag making, elaborate stitching and textile art there is no end to her creative abilities.
Sue has been largely self-taught. Armed with the basics and the doctrine of numerous artistic techniques, Sue has had professional training in painting with Pat Winnett, Malcolm Beattie and currently with Edwina Cherry. She continues to participate in weekly painting classes with a group of like-minded artists weekly in Eltham.
Sue has completed Certificate II in design at the renowned City And Guilds Institute in London.
Recently her passion for fabric based art has blossomed and it is exciting to see the transition of her art principles of painting and perspective being introduced to fabric. Sue creates pieces that have perspective in a painterly fashion, with her expert use of light, shadows and beautiful thread work giving extra texture and dimension. Fabric painting, dyeing, stamping, stitching, and the use of embellishments are what makes her works pop.
It is the meld of her talents that is really interesting as some of her current exhibits display multiple mediums. Where this will end as her confidence grows is really fascinating as those professionally involved in dealing in Susan’s creativity are constantly surprised by the shine in her work.
Exhibited textile artwork and award received:
- Time: Finalist in 2011 special exhibit Text on Textiles in Houston toured around USA for 2 years. Won 1st prize Art Quilt category Vic Quilters showcase 2013. Exhibited in 2015 NSW quilters guild and Festival of Quilts Birmingham 2015.
- Tram Route No.10: Won viewer’s choice in AQC challenge 2014 theme ‘Ten’ and Best Machine Workmanship, Innovative Catergory – World Quilt Competition 2015.
- Sturt’s Stamp: Judges Commendation in Desert Threads challenge 2014, currently touring Australia then Exhibiting in USA October 2015.
- Showgirl: 1st Prize winner for Berry’s One Red Thread theme Moulin Rouge 2014, Judges Choice in Dubai International Quilt Show 2016
- Limelight: For challenge Berry’s A World of Colour 2014, currently touring Australia.
- Beginning True: Won Honourable Mention 2015 AQC challenge theme ‘True Blue’
- Erte’s Bazaar: Finalist in World of Beauty 2015 Houston Texas and 2nd Prize Art Quilt Category in Dubai International Quilt Show 2016.
- Swept Away: 3rd prize winner at Berry’s Kimberly Dreaming Challenge 2015